Eze-Madumere.jpg - Eze-Madumere.jpg
The former Chief of Staff to Imo state governor, Prince Eze Madumere  has been sworn-in as the new Deputy Governor of the state. This followed series of intrigues of political equation that witnessed the impeachment of the former deputy governor, Mr. Jude Agbaso.


The 48-year-old Madumere was sworn in by the Chief Judge of the state, Justice Benjamin Njemanze amid water- tight security and frisking of spectators at the Sam Mbakwe Expanded Executive Council chambers, Government House, Owerri. It signalled the end of era of Agbaso, who had consistently denied being involved in the bribe scandal that caused his impeachment.


Madumere’s name was submitted to the 27-member Imo State House of Assembly, presided by Benjamin Uwajimogu (Speaker) after impeachment of then Deputy Governor, Sir Jude Agbaso, for “gross misconduct of office and bribery scandal” by Governor Rochas Okorocha on Thursday. He was screened and cleared, soon after the seven –man panel of investigation set up for the purpose, headed by Justice Godwin Ihekire (rtd) had only a day sitting before the impeachment.


In his remarks, the governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha, urged the new deputy governor to discharge his duties diligently and selflessly, enjoining his former chief of staff  not to be found wanting in his new position.


He declared: “For you to succeed in this job, you must think less of your yourself and think more of the people. You must never think of the next election but the future of the next generation. You must also hate the idea of primitive accumulation of wealth. Let me say to all of you that a day must come when all of us must bow before God; a day that need no EFCC, no Police and Army to stand on issue of accountability.“

So, be guided by the fear of God knowing that one day, this job will end”.

While expressing optimism on the capability of the new deputy governor to deliver on the enormous task ahead of him, Okorocha maintained that he remained committed to his vision of building a better Imo.

“ I have this confidence in you that you will discharge this function without fear or favour. As we gather to celebrate your inauguration, remember that much is expected from whom much is given. And to Imo people, you heard from the deputy governor saying that he must not be found wanting. On that statement I stand as your governor. But be rest assured that the rescue mission is on course and will remain unturned”, he said.

The governor described the circumstance that led to the removal of the former deputy governor as unfortunate, adding that his relationship with Sir Jude Agbaso will  remain cordial.

“ Let me again say that it is unfortunate that I have to miss the former deputy governor, Sir Jude Agbaso whom I worked with and whom I have very unique love for. The circumstances that led to his removal is very unfortunate and I want to use this opportunity to wish him well in his future endeavor”, he maintained.

Earlier in his speech, the new deputy governor, Prince Madumere promised to remain focused and committed to the doctrines of Gov. Owelle Rochas Okorocha-led Rescue Mission administration.

He said “ Circumstances have made me today a deputy governor of Imo state. I was comfortable with my job as chief of staff which kept me in close contact with the governor who for long has remained my mentor and leader. I had never I had never dreamt of becoming a deputy governor, but today, here I am standing before you taking an oath as deputy governor of Imo state. My task as deputy governor will be easy because I am an apostle of rescue mission.

I remain focused and committed to the doctrines of the rescue mission government as contained in the Rochanomics leadership principle. Therefore, I assure you all that I will continue to contribute my quota to making Imo better. To you my boss, I will continue to be your humble servant. I wait for your directives and assignments on the way forward. To my colleagues, your usual cooperation I will cherish and to Ndi-Eze, I will continue to seek your fatherly advice and then to the legislature and judiciary, I will always count on your partnership”